Sunday 27 April 2008

Spiritualist Churches making the first step

April has been a strange month for me. I have always had an interest in the paranormal, and have seen a fair number of mediums, and psychics over the years. I believe there is a life after death.

Last month I went for a sitting with a psychic, I hadn't been for one in about five years. He told me that I had a gift that I could develop. This didn't surprise me, as I have heard the same thing from several mediums or psychics over the years. I just chose not to do anything about it then.

This time for some reason, I felt I wanted to do something about it, and asked how to go about it. He suggested that I go to a local spiritualist church, and then join a development circle.

So I did. I have visited a number of spiritualist churches this month. The first church I visited was Acton Spiritualist Church. I had no idea what to expect. Meetings are held at various churches several times a week, where mediums will demonstrate their clairvoyance. They give members of the audience messages, which are proof of survival after death. In my experience most of the messages that I have heard are uplifting.

Some churches start off with prayers, hymns, and an address before the medium gives out messages. In other churches, or centres the medium will introduce themself and start giving out messages.

I had no idea what sort of people to expect in the churches, and a part of me expected to meet lots of New Age hippie types. I was surprised to see that the churches were filled with normal people, whatever normal means.

All of the people that I have chatted to in the churches have been friendly, and I was amazed that some people travelled out of their local areas to attend a church. For instance, I met someone at the Gateway centre, at Lower Addison Gardens, who lives in Woodford. Someone attended the Acton church, but lived in Brentford. It seemed like it was about finding a church that you felt comfortable in.

The evening I walked into Acton spiritualist church, I was a few minutes late for the service, as I didn't know where it was located. It was packed that evening. I sat right at the back. The medium gave his address, and then gave his first message. His first message was directed at me, shock horror. My heart was beating like a drum, and I couldn't really take in what he was saying, as I was in shock. I wish I had arrived earlier, so someone could have told me what to expect. I calmed down after a few minutes, and sat through the service. It was an interesting experience.

What I have picked up is that different churches have a different feel to them.Mediums have different ways of working. I went to Wimbledon spiritualist church yesterday to see Ivan Lee, clairvoyant and psychic consultant. Keith Charles a medium, Paul Cissell a spiritual medium and paranormal investigator, and David Wells. They all work in different ways. Ivan Lee incorporates a lot of humour in his messages, and builds the audience up. It was fascinating to watch. He knows how to work the platform. Keith Charles came out with some revealing messages for some members of the audience, and I can see how and why he was a detective.

I have seen a number of mediums on platforms this month, in different churches. Some of them were impressive, and some not. I know mediumship is not an exact science, and I am aware it takes a lot of courage to go onto a platform. However, in some cases I wonder who booked some of the mediums I have seen, and why, as they didn't seem ready. In some cases audience members walked out, or started to have conversations while messages were delivered, which I think is downright rude. I recognise their job is not easy. I am fascinated that some mediums are able to zone in on individuals, and give precise accurate messages, and others throw out information to the audience, hoping that someone will pick it up. My preference is for the former, as with the latter, it can take some time to verify who the message is intended for.

Some of the spiritualist churches charge a door fee, and some leave it to you to make a donation. I am moved by how little some of the mediums earn in spiritualist churches. I am aware that their role involves them helping others, and yet I wonder how some of them survive if they do this for a living. In my local church it is £5 for a 15 minute sitting, which I think is very low. It costs you £30 for a 30 minute sitting at the SAGB, and more at the College of Psychic studies. I have no problem with the rates, as I think mediums need to earn a living like everyone else, and yet I met a medium recently who felt guilty taking payment, who wants to leave her day job, and work as a medium full time.

Why have I taken this journey?

Why now?

I feel that it is something that I need to explore. I don't know where it will lead, but if I can help others with whatever emerges I will. I have had several messages from mediums in the churches this month, stating that spirit will contact me directly soon. I don't know how I will react to that when it happens, but I have an open mind. In the meantime, I am thinking of attending some courses and workshops.

I also intend to go to India at some point after having read Angela and Andrew Donovan's book, on the Naadi Palm readers,which is on my recommended reading list.

No comments: